A few months back, SY got the brillant idea of doing a girl's night out on the town to watch a show at The Kennedy Center- within moments we were looking up shows and the closest one we all got excited about was The Broadway Musical hit, MARY POPPINS!
We bought the tickets forever ago, and finally last night was the big night! The entire day we were brushing up on our Mary Poppins songs and by 4:00 our bosses had kindly agreed to let us leave early to get a jump start on the rush hour traffic. Now, take a Step In Time with me as I relive the night for you...
We had grand plans of getting ready at Kara's new place, but opted to change in the NRA bathrooms instead. Then we were off to Kara's to use her metro-friendly parking spaces. One hop on the orange line later and we were walking into some tiny Italian restaurant underneath The George Washington University Inn that Melissa made reservations for us at. It turned out to be the perfect place because not only were they used to show-goers time constraints (they were super fast!) but it was also within spitting distance (I exaggerate, but it was close) to The Kennedy Center. I can't remember the name of the restaurant, but it was Italian food and it was yummy! The whole time we were there though, I had to keep resisting the urge to ask if I could get a Spoon Full of Sugar.
We walked over to The Kennedy Center and it was so nice to go to some place in D.C. and not have to go through secret service (once again, I exaggerate) security and more so, it was the first time I had been in D.C. in a while when everyone was so nice to us. In fact, people were offering to take our pictures, joking around with us, asking us about ourselves. I think I want to just live at The Kennedy Center, ha ha.
| Walking the "red carpet." We asked the security guard to take a picture of us so we could feel like we were being followed by the paparazzi. |
![]() |
| Me, actually trying to do the supercalifragilisticexpialidocious dance that I am positive I could never actually come close to succeeding at. |
![]() |
| Me and Sarah, so sad about the time delay, heat, and I just wanted a diet coke! |
The night was fabulous! And we had so much fun- that is, until we reached the metro where (1) Melissa saw a mouse skid by our feet, (2) we had to wait 20 minutes in the sweltering heat of the metro until the next one came, and (3) we were all super thirsty and tired by the time we got back to our vehicles. I call that short time our Brimstone and Treacle time.
By this morning, we had all forgotten about those little facts and were just holding on the good time memories.
Chim Chim Cher-ree....
P.S. Here is another photo but with just three of us- luckily Sarah was sporting the spring floral look, without her with us we would have looked like we were heading to a funeral rather than Mary Poppins!
We might just institute theater once a month if we can keep it up. As far as for August, we've already got our tickets- LEGALLY BLONDE THE MUSICAL!! I'm practically giddy.
OH! I completely forgot to mention that I never noticed how much Mary Poppins was about drugging kids to behave. Sure, she can fly! She's got those kids high as a "Kite" on whatever she was constantly having them wash down with a spoon full of sugar. Seriously people, watch the musical, study the movie- I think you'll see exactly what Disney is advocating for. Just another one of their clever, subliminal messages.... ha ha.








I thought you would have posted a picture of the Mary Poppins Carpet Bag you loved so much! Looks like I will have to do a google search! Looks like you had a great time and you all look beautiful!
ReplyDelete