Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Can anyone tell me why Reeses Peanut Butter Cups are so addictive? Num, num, num, super delicious.

So, remember that new year's resolution I made to read a book a month? Well, I forgot about it until Sunday, Feb.28th and thought to myself, "Gosh, I better start reading or I'm not going to make it."

But then I started thinking to myself, "Wait a second here, Amber, you're getting short-changed. February is missing at least two days of prime end-of-the-month reading time- I think you should reconsider your deadline."

And who could argue with that? Sure, I've known since I was a wee little child that February has two less days than every other month, but when I made the contract with myself to read a book a month, I wasn't thinking about old tricky February.

So after briefing myself on the situation, I decided it was perfectly permissible to amend the contract with myself to read a book a month to say that I had until March 2nd for the month of February's deadline. And guess what? It all worked out beautifully, because late last night, with only thirty minutes left in the day, I finished the book "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams. 

Once again, it was just shy of 200 words pages, perfect for this lazy reader. But I find the shorter lengths actually make it more enjoyable- and not because they are a quick read, I just like the way it feels when I'm holding it in my hands. Not uncomfortably heavy, fits nicely inside any coat pocket or purse, and it doesn't stare back at you and say, "only 400 more pages to go..." But even more so, I just get bored easily, and if you're a writer whose book has time to get boring in a 200-page span, then I probably wouldn't have bought your book anyway. 

Well, Hitchhiker's Guide was phenomenal, as I expected any book that everyone knows the name of but has never actually read, would be. I could go on and on about its "monty python"-esque humor (I stole that from every other review I read on the book) and its hilarious plot lines that are somewhat outrageous but never over the top (mine- not as pretty sounding, is it?), but really, if you can't read this book and just laugh, then you probably don't get invited to a lot of birthday parties because you're no fun (well, unless you make delicious dip, and then they may make an exception).

Read it- it's a great airport read, beach read, bathroom installment read, all those reads that don't take very long but there's nothing else to do but read, so you might as well. It's worth it. 

P.S. Be nice to someone today, because judging from everyone's facebook statuses lately- the world could use a little TLC. That reminds me, have I told you how good your hair looks today?

Always, ANIBSHO

4 comments:

  1. Now I have a craving for Reese's Peanut Butter Cups!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that my entire blog post on the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy book, and one line about reeses, you got the reeses part out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying to read more myself ANIBSHO. So far I have read "The Associate", "Letters from Dad", "The Legend of the Monk and the Merchant", "Pirate Latitudes", and am halfway through "The Millionaire Next Door". Sitting in waiting are "The Millionaire Mind" and "Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In".

    Hope the weather has been getting better for you up north!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark! You commenting made my day! And you are way ahead of me on the reading front, are all those books within the last two months??? Kudos, my friend, kudos.

    ReplyDelete