Do you remember when you were a kid and were assigned summer reading lists? Oh, how kids loathed (and probably still do) their summer reading. I secretly loved my summer reading list (well most of it, anyway)- maybe it was because it only furthered my obsession with checking off giant to-do lists or the fact that we had to write a paper on each book after we read it (i loved writing- hence the blogging)- regardless, I liked it.
Side note: My dear little sister, J, is also a fan of the summer reading list, despite what she may argue otherwise. Her face lights up and she pretty much begs my mother every spare moment they have to take a trip to the book store to pick up her summer reading list- a purchase which can't be denied, because "I have to read it for school." She may be sulking on the outside, but I see the excitement bouncing within.
But what I didn't like about summer reading was the beginning of the books- I'm not talking about the opening sentence- I'm talking about the Acknowledgments and the Introductions and the Prefaces (and the Acknowledgements disguised as Prefaces). What is the difference between a Preface and and Introduction anyway- well, I think a Preface is written by the author and an Intro by someone else (0r vice-verse. As my sister would say, "idk") Either way- who cares?
If you are the author writing the Preface- too bad for you! You should have written it in the book!
I hated, as a child and still today- does that tell you anything?- when I would pick up a book and have to sift through anywhere from 2 to 20 pages of introductory remarks before I even got to the meat of the book. No wonder kids think they don't like to read- they decide reading is boring within the first few pages- because what they are reading is all the boring stuff. Leave it out and they will read (okay I am sure the country's educational problems are a little more complicated, but hey! every bit helps).
More so, I couldn't stand it when teachers would test you or make you include those remarks in your book report- for no other reason, but to make sure you read it. Why should I memorize how the book touched another author's life or why they decided to write
its introductory remarks?? It matters not to me.
Husband reads every introduction/preface/acknowledgement/footnote/publisher's page/index in every book he reads (okay, okay, I stretch the truth a little there), so I don't expect him to relate-- what a rare specimen he is.

I finally picked up F.A. Hayek's The Road to Serfdom to read- long over due- and I am immediately bombarded with 19 pages (19 PAGES!!!!!!!) of PRE-pages (marked ever so cutely with roman numerals). After about 5 pages, I thought I was going to pass out- I want to read the book! not this stuff! But what if I miss something? What if the author retracts something, corrects something, explains something, whatever, and I miss it? What if? Argh!!
Wait! Husband has read this book before, maybe I can ask him if I will miss anything. "Just read it," he says. Some help... One of these days Husband, you are going to want to know why Giraffes have thick, hairy lips and I am going to tell you to "just look it up."
To top it off, the first 12 pages of the actual book's material is chapterized© (yes, I made that word up) as "Introduction". I thought I was going to die.
Sure, sure, keep all that "stuff" in the books- what do I care? But move it to the back... Stop forcing me to PRE-read about why the book is so great... I am already reading the book, friend, you don't have to convince me! That stuff is for the real fans, the second time around readers, not me- Me, who is trying to read it on her lunch break. Me, who just wants to soak up what the book has to offer me. Me, who just wants the meat- no veggies!
Okay, I am down from my soap box.
For all those who read this "Preface to ANIB-SHO Blog"- I thank you, because not only was it poorly written, but I know if I saw that title, I would have just skipped right on to the good stuff.
PS: I plan to review this book later on my blog, stay tuned- I promise no Inroductions (because I need no introduction-ha ha)- but there may be a Preface --> :)





excuse me i never said i liked summer reading!
ReplyDeleteAmen! I don't read a book for all that stuff at the beginning! Put it at the back of the book! I was thinking of OUR family nights out at Books a Million. I miss them! I want you to be 12 again! Love you and Junk!
ReplyDeleteJay did want to go to Books a Million and look around when had at least two books she hadn't read yet! The problems with most reading list and reading for school is the limitations. They want the material on the level of the average student is on, or the level they should be on (big mistake). I kept telling your brother, you will like to READ if what you are reading is interesting! The "interest" is a personal preference.
ReplyDeleteok, i just posted a good comment and it didn't show up. you're loss. I'm not retyping it!! LoVeYoUaNdJUnK
ReplyDelete