Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Political Party-Party

Ahh.... Tuesday, November 4th-- Election Day 2008. My super bowl. My most favorite day of the year. To watch the numbers come in, to see the voter demographics. To cheer with friends or to yell at television screens! 


What was I doing on this day in history? I voted this morning, but now I am sitting in my bed, flipping between news channels and tallying up the scores with everyone else in America. 

This is not how my day would go though, if I had the choice. 

Ideally, I would have worked diligently on this year's campaign- for anyone who supports my same beliefs- but I didn't. I was caught between changing lives. 

Ideally, then, I would have worked the polling stations or volunteered to hand out political cheat sheets (not the ACORN type, the fliers for my candidates) for my party at the polls-but I didn't. I had to work today, and since I have only been working for less than 3 months, I have no vacation time to claim. 

Ideally, then, I would spend the night at the town's Republican Party-Fiesta (or Republican Party-Party, as I so dearly like to refer to it as) downtown at a local bar, cheering on my candidate with other die hards and frowning a little every time there is a win for the other side. I would be in the midst of people who believe as I do, people to share the ups and downs with-- even if I never speak to any of them- but I'm not. Instead I sit here with my roommate, who doesn't like to get out of the house. 

And although some would think it was crazy to let a younger woman, like myself, troll a city's unfamiliar streets (or dimly lit parking garages) alone on a dark and stormy night, this matters not. 

Who cares! You don't need a friend or roommate to go with you, you are a big girl Amber! 

Yes, yes I am. And so I did. I drove, using my handy dandy GPS machine to get me to the unfamiliar place- praying there is a parking spot right in front of the place. There wasn't and so I circled the streets, looking for another safe-looking spot (I don't do parking garages). There wasn't, so what is a girl to do?

I was a coward. I excepted defeat and drove back to my apartment, calling a friend to complain and wish that they were there. Oh to have a friend, any friend, I could call in times like these. Oh to be in Martin again, where I could pull from a large population of people I knew and loved. Oh to have friends again... ha ha. For someone who makes friends fast, I need to start making them faster....

I am home now, like I said, watching my television and keeping my opinions quietly to myself (very unlike me, can you tell? after all, I do have a blog) and looking forward to the next election season (2009!) where I am determined to serve my party and to fight for the causes and beliefs that I hold so dear. Hopefully, I will score a few friends, future opportunities, and (possibly) some election night celebration invitations. ;)

PS: Yay Political Super Bowl! I wish I could vote for my country everyday...

3 comments:

  1. I would go there to the bar with you! We would have a good time even though our party wasn't doing so good! I don't do parking garages either! Love your blog and love YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a Sad Day for all of America!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about a new post?? Where are you?

    ReplyDelete