Who says I'm not domesticated?? Eat my BLT pie Ma!
It was many many months ago when Husband's grandmother and grandfather told me the story of a mouth-watering BLT pie they had while visiting the Mississippi Delta. I immediately requested a recipe- as anything with bacon, cheese, and... bacon, sounded like a pie I could take my time to learn how to make.
His grandmother sent me a recipe about OH a year ago, and I never tried it. But the other day, after buying the cutest "Plan Your Meals for the Week" notepad online, I wrote it down on my list of things to cook. It's all a part of my personal initiative to learn new things and become more.... well-rounded?
I tend to take too much pride in being undomesticated- mostly because I loved the fear in my parent's eyes while I was growing up when they watched me groan at the thought of anything normal- you know like cooking, sleeping, or dating.
"How are you ever going to get married if you don't learn how to cook?"
"Who says I'm ever going to get married?"
"How did my kids become such commitment phobes??" My mother would sigh. "I'll never get grandchildren."
Lo and behold just four years out of high school and I had gotten myself hitched! See ma, all that brainwashing works!
Unfortunately, being married means I have this other person hanging around all the time wanting nourishment. We practically go giddy when someone asks us over to their place for dinner (Oh boy! A home-cooked meal!) or go into a mini-frenzy when people come into town and we have an excuse to eat out (it's still better than anything we have on a daily basis). Anywho- this person, who I fondly refer to as Husband, is the most supportive person EVER, but only when it comes to me cooking.
If I cook, I am pretty sure it doesn't matter if it taste wonderful or awful, he will never complain- he either stays quiet, tells me he really liked it, or in most cases when I cook.................. he goes nuts.
Quotes from Husband on the BLT pie:
"MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm GURRRRRRLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!" (repeat one thousand times)
**Lots of fork-dropping on the plate in disbelief of the goodness**
"Baby, I give this a 1 BILLION out of 10! It was THAT good."
"Boo, I ate half that pie! HALF THAT PIE!"
"Honey, can you make me two more of these before you go out of town?"
And my personal favorites:
"Sweetie, I can guarantee this one was way better than any hillbilly in Mississippi's was!"
"Baby, how is it that you are THIS GOOD at everything you try the first time you try it? I mean, really, it is not right to be as good as you are!"
OBVIOUSLY he was exaggerating on the last one, but compliments are few and far between so I will take them where I can get them!!
BLT Pie- ANIBSHO-style
| 12 | slices bacon, crisply cooked, crumbled (ANIBSHO change-up: microwavable bacon- the whole box in the microwave on two minutes for super crispy bacon that easy to crumble) |
| 1 | cup shredded Swiss cheese (4 oz) (ANIBSHO- twice the amount, sliced from a block of cheese, and make it cheddar instead) |
| 1/2 | cup Original Bisquick® mix (ANIBSHO- 2.5 ounces of the Shake 'n' Pour Pancake Mix-- just the mix no water!) |
| 1/3 | cup mayonnaise or salad dressing (ANIBSHO- yep!) |
| 3/4 | cup milk (ANIBSHO- I only had 3/4 of 3/4 of a cup left in the fridge) |
| 1/8 | teaspoon pepper (ANIBSHO- pepper and red pepper for a kick) |
| 2 | eggs (ANIBSHO- do these ever go bad, because mine were in the fridge FOREVER. Literally, I can't even remember the last time I bought an egg. That's okay, one time in college one of BNIB's fraternity brothers stopped by my place to borrow some eggs and I gave him some that were over 4 months old and I never heard any complaints... but then I again I don't ever recall seeing him again after that..... hmmm. I'm sure it's just a coincidence.) |
| 2 | tablespoons mayonnaise or salad dressing (ANIBSHO- approx. Do what feels right) |
| 1 | cup shredded lettuce (ANIBSHO- yep!) |
| 6 | thin slices tomato (ANIBSHO- yep!) |
Step 1:
Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees. Or if you are us, take out the pans you keep stored in there because you live in a tiny apartment FIRST, then start pre-heating your oven to 400 degrees.
Step 2:
Spray pie dish with non-stick cooking spray- or in my case, wipe down with olive oil because it is the only thing you keep in the house. Then layer the dish with the cheese block slices that you inevitably made Husband cut into pieces because it is freakin' hard to slice block cheese! across the bottom, like a blanket of cheddar. Sprinkle on top of it MOST of the bacon. Save a little for the top of your pie, give a little to your puppy- he is SO cute after all.
Step 3:
In a shhhmedium bowl, stir bisquick (pancakes!), 1/3 cup mayo, 3/4 of 3/4 cup milk, pepper (use a pepper grinder to do this, it makes cooking fun), eggs (fresh or questionable, if Padma isn't taking a fork to it, I don't think anyone will notice) with a whisk until ***delightfully*** (happy meals come from happy cooks) blended. Pour into pie plate over cheese blanket and bacon bites, and then make it rain shredded cheese over top! If you do that it will come out looking like an Asiago bagel from Starbucks- and who doesn't like those?
Step 4:
Bake for 25 minutes or until top is golden brown. To test if it's done, stab it with a knife and if no blood sticks to it, then you're ready to hide the body! Beware though, it may deflate a little after it comes out (insert "That's what she said" comment from Melissa here). Then spread a thin layer of mayo over top and use your left over bacon bits to crown the top of your BLT that is, without a doubt, worthy of royalty.
Step 5:
Cover with thin slices of tomato-- if you are around others, refer to the tomato as a fruit CONSTANTLY, so they think you are either really crazy or really crazy smart for knowing that it is technically a fruit and not a vegetable-- then whip out that pepper grinder one more time to lightly "pepper" (hardy, har) the tomatoes on top. Otherwise, it just looks naked. Lastly, take your shredded lettuce (if you have kids, I HIGHLY suggest you let them do the lettuce shredding- because (1) It's hard to shred anything wrong, and (2) Husband shredded the lettuce and he said and I quote, "I think I rather like shredding lettuce, it's fun!" which in his child-like, or moreso Sheldon-like way, indicates that small children would also LOVE it) and spread it across your plate to welcome the tasty BLT pie you just made.
If YOU ARE ANYTHING LIKE ME, KEEP READING FOR EXTRA STEP...
Step 6:
Turn off your oven.





Oh my gosh, that looks delicious!! I am going to make one! See all that brain washing worked!!!
ReplyDeleteI want to try this.. please feed me :D LOL if this is better than those amazing sausage wontons them shoot... i'm adopting you!
ReplyDelete