Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Peep Show


You would think that finding interesting things to do wouldn't be tough being so close to our nation's capital- but while I have no doubt there are a million interesting things to do, finding out about them BEFORE they happen proves to be more difficult than originally expected. Finding new stuff to fill my time with is a new kick I am on- mainly doing stuff that is a little more out of the ordinary to shake things up a bit.

Naturally then when I got my latest "culture kick" the Washington Post's Annual Peep Diorama Contest Exhibit was exactly what I had in mind. All the "culture" and off-beat vibe I needed, without all the pretentiousness of pretending to like a lot of the things most people are programmed to think they are supposed to find fascinating (see rando art later in this post). Yes, taking in a peep at the peep exhibit was just riiiggghhhhtttttt.

But apparently not for everyone because of the mass email I sent out inviting people I could only rope two other people into trucking it down to the unknown to check it out (in all fairness there was a lot of others who agreed but copious amounts of rescheduling kind of made it lose its luster). But they didn't miss much as the peep displays were spread out throughout the new artisphere building-an attempt to get people to check out the other exhibits as well... which we did- dang museum planners!

Kara and Holmes playing with the giant 3D etcha-sketch.
One of the closest things resembling art at the art museum.
Blue Sweaters sewn together to make a box.
One of the closest things we saw not
resembling art at the art museum.
I thought we looked at all the peeps, but I was sorely mistaken as when I got home to check out the photos online (which I had avoided previous to going), I discovered we had missed some pretty cool looking ones. And each exhibit was numbered-- which at the time we chose to believe was the order in which they had won.

Apparently we were wrong about a lot of things because I discovered the one which I had repeatedly shook my head in disbelief at it not winning had indeed actually won! It's of the Chilean Miners. See picture and WP's video below:

Holmes and I checking out what we thought to be the best one,
but a losing one that was actually the winning one. Get it?

All in all, it wasn't THAT great. But all of use peepers did get pictures with the ones we felt might not have been the best, but were close to our hearts. Mine with the Vincet Van Peep, Kara with the Muppeet Show, and Mike with the Spinal Peep Concert.


The real deal: it gave me faith that I too could become a Peep Show finalist next year! We plan to win the judges over by making every tiny detail out of peeps. Anyone know how to make a cardboard-like platform out of fried peeps?

4 comments:

  1. Did you know we'd recorded, I mean "found in a basement archive", the song by Spinal Peep as well as the video?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DMGDnnuiWc

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha, I love that THE Spinal Peep peeps googled themselves and found this post! With dedication like that, we have to support a Spinal Peep tour!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is pretty awesome with the spinal peeps... too bad number 7 instead of 11... I have to say I like your bitterness towards the art museum... the sweater person probably worked very hard to find those sweaters at a thrift shop! ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitively think you three should enter one next year!!! I say this as I am sitting at my desk, eating the last of the peeps from Easter!! Too funny!

    ReplyDelete