I was on my lunch break, hanging around Borders bookstore and browsing the magazine stands with all the other moochers and picked up an edition of The Weekly Standard that featured an interesting cover. On the front it portrayed certain democrats in a circus scene, including Hillary Clinton.
When I went to the front counter to purchase my items, the woman ringing me up let out a very disapproving "Oh!" when she saw the portrayal of Clinton.
"That's my daughters new boss!" she said to me (at this time it was obvious she just wanted to brag, which, as a Mother, is her right).
"Oh! Well, great for her," I responded, very supportive/nice-ly.
"Yes, she is a foreign diplomat in Mumbai." By this time, she was beaming with pride.
"Oh, so just a few more days then," I said, referring to the count-down until the new administration takes over.
"No!" the woman exclaimed, looking at me like I was an idiot. She pointed to the picture of Clinton again, "She is going to be the next Secretary of State!"
"Yes, I know. Just a few more days until she takes office," I responded, looking confused why she was looking back at me like I was crazy (We are saying the same thing woman!).
The conversation died down as she rung (rang? ringed? that's a whole other blog topic) up my magazines.
"Well, I just think women make better diplomats," she started up again.
"Hmmm," I said, being polite and acknowledging her comment (It was a very nice 'hmm' too!)
"Well, that's just my opinion," she said (looking at me like my conservative magazine preferences somehow also made me automatically disagree with whatever opinion she holds)
Feeling her getting defensive, I laughed and said, "Well, I wouldn't know. I don't know any diplomats." HA HA.
"Well I gave birth to one!" she cried out. I think she wanted to fight and since I don't make a habit of fighting women twice my age, I gracefully bowed out and said, "You win."
Not really, but honestly, I wasn't trying to compete with her, I just wanted to buy some magazines.
Anywho, once again, life would be so boring without politics.
G'day





What ever happened to "How are you doing?" and "Did you find everything you were looking for?" and ending with a "Thank you, have a good day! Come back soon!"
ReplyDeleteI REALLY ENJOYED READING THROUGH ALL OF YOUR POSTED ITEMS. WE THINK A LOT A LIKE. YOU HAVE A GREAT SENSE OF HUMOR!
ReplyDelete